Monday, May 26, 2008

Hike #16 On May 26, 2008 Mount Lowe Railway Loop Tour

Finally the rain has left us and I can once again commence my assault on the hiking trails. No photos on this one as I left my camera at home. This was quite the punishing hike at 12 miles but it was well worth it. I give this hike an 8 out of 10. The two negatives of this hike are 1) overuse and 2) lack of wildlife on the trails. There weren't even that many birds to be seen.

Visiting the old Lowe railway was quite the step back into history. I was gripped with sadness to know that we have lost this Altadena gem forever but at the same time very thankful for the preservation of the past for those who want to take a walk into the pages of history.

The route that I went was by parking at the end of Lake ave. in Altadena and walking the entrance to the Cobb estate and then proceeding up the Lower Sam Merrill to Echo Mountain and then a little jaunt up Echo Mountain trail to meet up with the Sunset Ridge fire road. I then followed the fire ridge road all the way to Inspiration point and then I went down Castle Canyon trail to meet up once more with Echo Mountain trail and then I returned the way I came buy climbing back down the Lower Sam Merrill.

My knees were shot at the beginning of Castle Canyon Trail and the return hike was very painful. I think I'll be resting my legs a bit over the next day or two and then I'll probably look for a few hikes in the 3 to 5 mile range to close out my week. I want to try and make at least 3 more hikes this week as this hike burned at least 5 pounds and if I can continue with a few more hikes it will push my weight down probably by another 5 to 10 pounds this week.

Here are a few links on Mount Lowe is you are interested in doing a little bit of research before the hike.
1. Dan Simpson's notes on his Echo Mountain hike.
2. Mount Lowe Historical Society.
3. Topo Mount of the area compliments of Dan Simpson.

No comments: